Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Fifth Review: Website - www.smartgardenwatering.org.au

Watering your garden is an important issue, especially after the 10 long years of drought Australia had experience. We need to conserve water as much as we could and we can also be economical with it for our funds, its two birds with one stone!

So I visited the website: www.smartgardenwatering.org.au

SmartGardenWatering

The website calculate how much water tank you should use for your garden and a community website for discussion on other peoples garden, which connects to facebook. I tried using the software provided in the website to calculate the water that is actually required to optimize my veggie plot. Here are the steps when I used it:

How much water does my garden really need?

1) Inserted the suburb or the place of my garden which is in Burnley, and the website immidiately shows what type of soils is usually used for it (for this case, Burnley is said to use claysoil most of the time which true)

2) Edit the size of my garden, I think it was 4 x 1.5 = 6 square meters
3) Insert the plant type I used which is vegetable and herbs -> vegetables -> Globe artichoke (they don't have my plant in here so i'm just gonna use that for example) and Rosemary (in edible herbs)
4) Edit water usage: "Drip below mulch" and mulch: "pea straw", finally then the conditions..
5) Go back to the water summary and VOILA: it says 184 L/year which is around half a litter a day.

Judging by the result of the website, I might say that it's quite accurate as the veggie plot is small after all so a small amount of watering should be enough :D.

Then go back into my plant area in the website it shows me that the plants require 99 liters in January, but it actually only requires 66 liters. That is a huge difference, the water amount is cut back 1/3 of it! I say this will definitely save water usage and the bills.

Now imagine if everyone is using this website and following the recommendation provided in Australia, we might be able to save liters and liters of water also reduce water restriction for our needs. I have to say this is a very good website, especially for horticulturist as watering and gardens comes hand in hand.

That's all for my Fifth review, thanks for reading along and I seriously just knew that this website was developed by :

The University of Melbourne

What are you waiting for, smart watering today! (like a TV commercial :P)
- Justin H. Kusnandar

No comments:

Post a Comment